This is part of a series of articles chronicling my experience with the 1st gen 23L Fluval Edge. It is largely based off of a 2011-2012 journal thread on plantedtank.net. If you haven’t already, read the first post in this series.
Almost immediately after I took the photos highlighted in the previous article, I sat back, took a good long look at my tank and decided that I still really wanted a moss carpet. Since the stainless steel mesh I’d initially tried this with had proven toxic and I did not like the way plastic mesh looks in a tank I decided to pay a visit to the local craft store and see what I could find to make a moss carpet a reality.
After a lot of wandering around, picking up various products and confusing the hell out of a few store employees I made it home with the following:
- 1 yard of nylon tulle/mesh
- 1 spool of all purpose brown cotton thread
- 2 packs of super cheap black glass beads
The plan I came home with was for a barely visible, organically shaped moss carpet that fit in and around my hardscape – much different in execution than the ‘carpet squares’ on usually sees in planted tanks.
Using cotton thread, I very carefully stitched strands of moss to bits of carefully shaped tulle. Understandably, this required a fair bit of time and patience…
After I had the moss secured I then used nylon fishing line to tie a few glass beads along the edges of the tulle mesh to serve as sinkers.
When placing my finished piecework in the tank I pushed the beads down into the substrate rendering them mostly invisible. The mesh itself was nearly the same color as the substrate and also barely visible once in place.
All told (using the playback history of my Netflix account as a sort of a log) I spent 18.93333 hours working on this carpet, deploying it in the tank and generally fussing over the layout. I primarily used Xmas moss but also included some tufts of Fissidens… the difference it made in the tank, I think, justified the time spent: